Anyone who is passionate and knowledgeable about any topic can be intimidating to buy for. This guide will help you navigate the pitfalls of buying for a self-described coffee snob. These products are of the highest quality and come recommended, not only by us, but by other coffee experts as well. Organized by budget, you will find a variety of gifts that you can be proud to present to the coffee snob in your life!
In This Guide:
- Price range: $1000+
- Price range: $500+
- Price range: $100+
- Price range: $50+
- Price range: Less than $50
Price range: $1000+
Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
- Please refer to user guide or user manual or user guide (provided below in PDF) before first use
If you’re working with a sizeable budget and your coffee lover doesn’t already have a home espresso machine, this is a wonderful gift. The dual boiler makes it much easier to produce espresso based drinks with milk. It’s recommended by well-known coffee experts James Hoffmann and The Coffee Chronicler amongst others. Note that the brand name Breville is used in the US, and in Europe it’s known as Sage. This is great for someone who is really into the mechanics of coffee and learning more about it – a true hobbyist barista. If they aren’t that serious about the craft itself, but want excellent espresso, see the cheaper Bambino model below.
Price range: $500+
Breville Bambino Plus Espresso Machine
- Please refer to user guide or user manual or user guide (provided below in PDF) before first use
If you don’t have the budget for dual boiler above, the Bambino is another great option, especially for beginners to making their own espresso at home.
Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine
- Ergonomic porta filter handle same as the proven design of Rancilio commercial machines
- Commercial grade group head for superb heat stability and extraction quality
- Articulating steam wand offers complete range of motion and professional steaming knob precisely controls steaming pressure
- Classic linear design fits most decors
- Optional pod and capsule adaptor kit available
This is a great choice for the hobbyist barista at a bit of a lower price point than the Breville dual boiler.
Eureka Mignon Specialita Espresso Grinder
- Silenced Grind - A sound-insulated case helps keep the Specialita quieter than most.
- Touchscreen Controls - Adjust your grind time for single, double and continuous modes with a backlit resistive touchscreen.
- 55mm Stepless Burrs - With the biggest burrs available on a Mignon; these hardened steel flat burrs make short work of coffee beans.
- Bottom Burr Adjust - By adjusting the grind from below the motor mount, the Specialita preserves your grind setting between disassemblies.
- New Chute - A wider chute design with Eureka's anti-clumping system makes for fluffier grounds.
Coffee snobs are fussy about their grinders for good reason – along with the right water, getting the right grind makes a difference to the end result. If the coffee snob in your life already owns an espresso machine, this specialty grinder will be a perfect complement to it. It’s well-crafted, precise and makes minimal noise.
Price range: $100+
Ottomatic – automatic pour over brewer
Want the smoothness of pour over coffee, but don’t have the patience to make it yourself? The Ottomatic is for you. From the same company that makes the Chemex, this is a beautiful piece of equipment that can make both hot and iced coffee.
Baratza Encore Grinder
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- GO-TO ENTRY LEVEL GRINDER - Baratza’s best-selling grinder, with its small footprint, is THE choice for brewing coffee at home. Available in White or Black.
- USER FRIENDLY - A convenient, front-mounted pulse button, plus a simple ON/OFF switch make it easy to grind fresh coffee.
- 40 GRIND SETTINGS - Engineered with 40mm commercial-grade conical burrs that help you explore the extensive range of brew methods (espresso, Aeropress, Hario V60, Chemex, French Press, and automatic brewers).
- WARRANTY/QUALITY PARTS - Hardened alloy steel burrs manufactured in Liechtenstein, Europe, plus a powerful DC motor. This combination creates a consistent grind and durability to ensure the longevity users have come to expect from the Baratza brand. The Encore is backed by Baratza’s world class support and a 1 year warranty. 2020 Update has exact same trusted functionality with a sleek new exterior.
This versatile and reliable grinder provides excellent value. It might be the only one you ever need.
Bonavita 8-cup one touch coffee maker
- SPECIALTY COFFEE AT HOME: Bonavita’s flagship coffee maker brews a full carafe in about 6 minutes; The artisan café style brewer has a compact design and is great for coffee lovers to use in their kitchen or office
- AWARD WINNING RESULTS: Golden Cup Standard Coffee Maker is curated with features to mimic the artisan pour-over brewing method; Flat bottom filter basket leaves less mess and large showerhead creates perfect flavor for cafe quality coffee
- BETTER FLAVOR, FAST: Powerful 1500W heater maintains professional recommended brewing temp of 198°-205°F (91°-96°C) for optimal flavor extraction; Stainless steel thermal carafe is durable and double-walled to keep coffee’s ideal temperature longer
- TASTE THE DIFFERENCE: Showerhead and filter basket work in harmony to evenly saturate coffee grounds for uniform flavor extraction; Optional Pre-Infusion Mode allows fresh roasted coffee to bloom before brewing to enhance its flavor
- BREW WITH BONAVITA: Our coffee brewers and kettles create enriching and delicious coffee experiences without fuss; As your trusted home barista, our appliances are designed to fit with all kitchen decors and deliver great brews all day, every day – cup after cup!
This automatic coffee-maker has been the top choice in numerous panels of coffee experts. For coffee-lovers who value quality and ease, this is a great selection. It’s not for someone who wants to tinker a lot, but for someone who wants reliably excellent coffee at their convenience. One of the main advantages of this brewer is its consistent temperature, ensuring a top class cup every time.
Price range: $50+
Hario “Technica” Glass Syphon Coffee Maker
- Upper bowl, lower bowl and burner are made of the best heat resistant borosilicate glass from Hario
- Stand, burner cover, and filter are made of stainless steel
- Imported from Japan
- Item dimmensions are: 14"H x 6.2"W x 4.3"L; 5 Cup Capacity
- Fasteners are made of brass; windbreak is made of aluminum
A siphon coffee maker is not for someone that wants a quick hit. It’s for someone that truly wants to enjoy and savor the experience of crafting a cup.
Peak Water Pitcher
Water is one of the most important components of your coffee. Using the best tasting water you can will greatly enhance your cup. The Peak Water pitcher is recommended by coffee expert, consultant and author Scott Rao.
The Starter Pack comes with two test strips that allow you to test your tap water at home. By comparing your results to the color chart provided with the test strips, you will be able to determine the precise adjustment that needs to be made on the filter setting to produce the perfect water for your brew.Prima-coffee
Le Creuset Stoneware French Press
- Premium stoneware is designed for everyday use
- Colorful glaze is nonporous, non-reactive and resistant to chips, scratches and stains
- Virtually nonstick glazed surface easily releases food for quick clean-up, and resists cracking and crazing
- Superior heat retention keeps food warm or cold for serving
- Safe for freezer, oven, microwave, broiler, dishwasher and metal utensils
A French Press is an easy way to make a great cup of coffee. This Le Creuset model provides a more unique look and experience, with some satisfying heft.
Hario V60 Drip Coffee Scale and Timer
- Drip Coffee Scale: Perfect measurements make for a perfect brew. Hario’s V60 drip coffee scale measures in 0.1 gram increments for the highest precision. Designed to perfectly accompany your Hario V60 coffee drippers
- Designed for Coffee Lovers: Perfect for your daily pour over or manual coffee pours. This scale features a built-in timer to help you follow and repeat brew recipes accurately. Auto-off feature after 5 minutes (not activated while timer is in use)
- Slim Design: The V60 drip scale is designed to comfortably fit a server while maintaining a small footprint in your kitchen. Slim, sleek and easy to store
- Updated Features: Decreased start-up times, improved reaction rate, anti-slip rubber feet, improved water resistance
- Product Details: W120×D190×H29mm; Capacity 2,000g maximum; Uses 2 AAA batteries (included)
Real coffee aficionados measure coffee by weight, not spoonfuls, so an accurate coffee scale is a great way to inexpensively enhance your setup.
Price range: Less than $50
Hario v60 pour over
Every coffee snob needs a good pour over. It’s a simple, inexpensive device that makes delightfully smooth coffee. Our favorite is the Hario v60 which comes in a variety of materials to suit anyone’s aesthetic.
Driftaway Coffee Subscription
We are fans of the Driftaway coffee subscription which is personalized to your taste.
Atlas Coffee Subscription
This is another highly acclaimed subscription, featuring coffees from around the world.
A tamper is a must-have if you’re making espresso at home. This one is simple and elegant.
- Suitable for tamping fresh ground espresso before brewing
- Material: Stainless steel (external), Iron (internal)
- Base diameter:51mm Height:80mm ;Weight: about 570g
- Included: 1 x Coffee Tamper
Third Wave Water
Another approach to getting the best water for your coffee, Third Wave Water is recommended by the Coffee Compass, amongst other experts. Designed to be added to distilled water, there are a few flavor profiles to choose from, depending on what kind of coffee you’re brewing.
- PRODUCES 12 GALLONS- Each package is packed with value offering the ability to make up to 12 gallons of minerally enhanced brewing water which allows you to enjoy more coffee.
- MINERALLY ENHANCED- After research and much trial and error we’ve found the optimized minerals for the perfect water for your coffee. We’ve added Magnesium for added sweetness and Calcium for a balanced body that we’re sure you will appreciate.
- MADE IN THE USA - The original specialty water for coffee.
- AS SEEN ON SHARK TANK - Find out why 5 out of 5 Sharks prefered Third Wave Water over tap water.
- WORKS WITH ALL MACHINES- Third Wave Water is a perfect addition to all types of coffee applications. Whether you choose to use a Keurig, Percolator, Moka Pot, French Press, Drip coffee maker, or Thermal coffee maker, Third Wave Water can help enhance the flavor.
World Atlas of Coffee by James Hoffmann
- Hardcover Book
- Hoffmann, James (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 272 Pages - 10/10/2018 (Publication Date) - Firefly Books (Publisher)
The ultimate reference guide to coffee.
Hario cold brew coffee jug
- Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Heatproof Borosilicate Glassware
- Metal Filter Mesh
- 1000ml Capacity
- Made in Japan
If you’re looking for a smooth, strong hit of caffeine, cold brew will do the trick. This cold brew setup comes recommended by NY Mag’s Strategist panel of experts.
Hario V60 Buono Stainless Steel Gooseneck Stove-Top Kettle
- Buono Coffee Drip Kettle: Stunning stainless steel stovetop kettle that’s easy to use and offers a thin spout for easy pouring. A Hario staple, its iconic shape is recognized around the world
- Controlled Pour: Slender gooseneck spout allows for a slow, steady, and controlled pour. Great for pour over, drip or manual coffee brewing. Works perfectly with Hario V60 coffee drippers
- Kitchen Essential: Easily boil water for manual coffee brewing, tea or cooking. Perfect for daily kitchen use, compact enough to be a countertop essential. Minimalist and stylish, Buono perfectly complements any kitchen design
- Japanese Design: Stainless steel kettle with an ergonomic design for easy, safe pouring. Designed and made in Japan
- Product Details: Capacity 1.2L, 1200mL. Best when filled to about 800mL. Ideal for IH ranges, gas and electric stoves
This kind of kettle is perfect for making manual pour over coffee, where controlling the flow of water over the coffee is critical.
Follow her on Twitter.